3/04/2005

Mystery or Miracle

Some pieces of the first movement of a good Bruckner's Symphony No. 7 floated to me while I was still sleeping. My body remained resting but my mind worked well enough to wonder how this music was being played, because the CD should have been buried in a corner of one of the bookshelves in my room for so many days that I couldn't locate it. The only information I inferred was my wife picked it up in the CDs piled up and put it into the place. The questions that had been filling me up with were sorted through my scrutiny and reduced into the one: how could she choose the one?

On that day, in the evening, I was going to a fifteen-years-old city theatre to listen to Symphony No. 7 of Bruckner, played by GewandhausOrchestra Leipzig and conducted by Herbrt Blomstedt. But I chose this neither because the orchestra and the conductor were great nor because I love Bruckner. Those could not be enough for me to decide to buy an expensive ticket for that concert on the day, the deathday of Mr. K, a teacher who taught me Faulkner and classical music. He was said to be queer in aesthetics, but I shared it with him. And he also loved Bruckner, as I do. When I found a poster to let us know the concert would be held, it was as if his motto reiterated in my mind, "something moving can be the motif for you to live, work, and survive in the world, so you have to keep your sensibility working; therefore, you have to give yourself so many opportunities to move you." And I also remembered how happy he looked when he was preparing to leave his office for the concert theatre to listen to Bruckner, who was his cup of tea.

My wife, I guess, is an esoteric buddhism worshipper in some cases. You know, Esoteric Buddhism would be a little bit different from other sects of Buddhism in that, according to the doctrine, you could be allowed to get a magical power or a clearest insight to enable you cause miracles. Probably, on that day, she got the power, so she picked up a Schricht's Bruckner No. 7. without knowing anything about the concert and classical music. She is not interested in classical music as art but as a cradle song. Nevertheless, she chose the one the teacher mentioned as the best conductor for Bruckner's No. 7.

Blomstedt performed terribly cool and great. I clapped so much, murmuring "thanks, Mr. K."

No comments: